Simple Backup Tool
Simple Backup is a tool to help you to backup important files then upload them to your server via FTP. In order to use Simple Backup you need .NET Framework 3.5 or higher installed in your pc or server.
What are the benefits of Simple Backup?
After setting your configuration values and define folders which you need to backup, you can create schedule task in your operatin system. For instance everyday at 01:00am, you can backup all files and upload them to your remote server.
- Your files are compressed. So you don't need to have more storage.
- Your files can be encrypted by password. So you don't need to be worry about your backup files security.
- Your files are uploaded to a remote server via FTP. If something goes wrong you can easily download and recover.
- If you want you can overwrite backup files on remote server or give random name to have all backup versions.
- You can easily debug and determine any problem by reading the logs files of Simple Backup.
How to Configure Simple Backup?
There are two different files which are Folders.xml and SimpleBackup.exe.config you need to check and write your settings before running Simple Backup tool.
Folders.xml structure is really simple. Root element is Folders which contains Folder. Each Folder element has folder path which you need to backup.
The screenshot above shows that there are three folders to be compressed and uploaded to remote server. For instance the folders written
below are compressed and uploaded to remote server :
"H:\Projects\Mobile" are compressed
This config file includes FTP server information, security information, backup file information.
FTP server information
- FtpServer : This is your server ip address or domain. You don't need to add ftp:\\ protocol in front of it.
- FtpUsername : It's used to connect and authenticate the ftp server.
- FtpPassword : It's used to connect and authenticate the ftp server.
- FtpPath : Define the path where you want to upload your backup files.
- FtpPort : If you leave it empty, 21 is used as a default port number.
FTP server information
- PasswordProtection : Write true, If you need that your backup files are encrypted with the password you provide.
- BackupPassword: If you set PasswordProtection to true, you need to write your password in order to see your files. Otherwise, SimpleBackup considers PasswordProtection is false.
Backup Files information
- BackupExtension : There are two options which are zip or rar.
- RandomBackupFileName : Write true, If you want to set a random name to your backup files. Otherwise false.
- DebugMode : It's used to read all steps while SimpleBackup is running. Make sure this setting must be false in production environment. Otherwise Simple Backup waits for input from you to terminate itself.
In the root of Simple Backup tool folder, you see Logs folder which is used to store event information of Simple Backup. If you need to investigate any error or be sure how Simple Backup works you can read the log file.